Hi, this is a bit about borwell, the story so far, and a hint at what's next!
Setting up borwell was one of life's opportunities that, at the time, I had no idea where it was going to take us. In 2003 it was just me with a 6 month contract for software engineering for the MoD. Very soon businesses in Worcestershire were asking me to help them with databases, software and general IT advice. Soon there were three of us, then Andrea joined us two days per week, four, then Tim, five of us. Wow. The UK went into recession in 2007/2008 and bizarrely we grew from 5 to 12 by 2012. We worked on some cool technology projects for the MoD supporting the London 2012 Olympic games. We won an MoD Chief Scientist Award for this work as well as the work we did in Dubai supporting Counter Maritime Piracy Operations in the Indian Ocean.
Then came Cyber. At first we just up-skilled our software team to be even more sharp. Then Customers asked us for penetration testing services and IT Health Checks. So I created Cybx, our brand for our cyber security services.
So now we're a team of around 30 and always recruiting more smart people. If you are one, or know someone who is, then please ask them to call us, we'd love to hear from you/them.
What next? Well it's no surprise that I'm already looking to next year. Space is a sector I've been researching for the previous two years. I've recruited someone to run our Satellite Applications Team. They will be based in Harwell, Oxfordshire, where most of the UK Space businesses are based and thriving. The objective is to grow this to a team quickly, and be providing downstream applications that exploit space collected data. We've actually been working in this sector since the beginning (not of time, of our business!), so it's just making it a vertical market to focus on really, and joining the right membership organisations to promote our services.
I would like to thank my wife and team for their support, their ideas, passion, determination, skills, and for supporting me and challenging me often. We're a really happy, smart team, and this is reflected by our wonderful Customers who respect our employees and value the work they deliver. Thank you Customers too!
Steve Borwell-Fox, MD of borwell
Vision, Mission & Values
Our vision is for internal use, and helps us focus on the right activities.
Our mission is:
To create innovative and secure operational software systems, fulfilling the Information Management needs of our Customers, within a wide range of sectors
Our values are to 'go for gold' (homage to Roy Clarke, who I worked with in 1996):
- Get best out of our brilliant people
- Opportunities to learn and develop skills and experiences
- Lead by example in everything that we say and do
- Develop tools using the latest technologies
If you're a business or government agency looking for a smart, agile SME, with the above values and unswerving ethics then please do call! If you like the story and values above, why not come and work for us, and help take the business forwards even further?
Quality & Certifications
Our teams take pride in the quality of the services they provide. You can view our policies, certifications, standards that we work to and frameworks that we are on below:
- ISO 9001:2015 - our Business Management System (BMS) is built around the ISO Quality Standard and is entirely digitised (paper free! Yes, it can be done!)
- Cyber Essentials Scheme - the business maintains this certification annually, and also helps other suppliers achieve this certification (we help secure the supply chain to Government and large businesses)
- Modern Slavery Act Policy - our commitment to a better world by building a better, fairer supply chain (there are challenges within the UK, which we are not willing to accept)
- Quality Policy - our commitment to continuous business improvement (because getting better every day means we're more efficient and this means using less of the planet's resources)
How to buy from us
borwell is registered on the following frameworks:
- Technology Services (TS 2)
- Digital Outcomes & Specialists (DOS 3)
- JOSCAR - borwell is a level 2 supplier
- NATO BOA
borwell is also registered on several other UK Government frameworks - please call to check if you want to commission our services, and which framework is best to use for you.